The 3 of Swords tarot card depicts a human heart floating in the air, stabbed by three swords. Above, there are clouds pregnant with rain, as the many raindrops show. The symbolism in this card shows the nadir of one’s life. There is also the opposite card i.e. the 3 Of Swords Reversed or Three Of Swords Reversed which is also explained below for the benefit of our readers.
3 of Swords in an Upright Position
In an upright position, the Three of Swords stands for sadness and heartache. This Minor Arcana card represents loss, grief and depression—a difficult time for the seeker on the emotional front.
This card shows it all—conflict, misunderstandings and distraction, loneliness, disorders, depression and betrayal. Either the seeker has already been betrayed or it will happen soon. Though this card represents hardship, it isn’t entirely negative.
From the most difficult experiences faced, people learn of their true capabilities. This card advises that the seeker should take some time to recover from his emotional loss.
What Is Indicated When the Three of Swords Is in An Upright Position
- This card represents sorrow, pain and separation. At times, the separation is only temporary; at other times final.
- This card will show the seeker how to get to the bottom of any situation.
- The seeker could also be a lover of music, particularly string music.
3 of Swords Personality Types in Upright Position
- The seeker is very sensitive and easily hurt due to his past experiences.
- He is scared of rejection and is a jealous person.
- He is new to security and has distorted views of love.
- The seeker has several relationships but cannot settle down with anyone because his old negative experiences come to the fore and drag him down.
Three of Swords in a Reverse Position
This card indicates that the seeker might have gone through a loss or break-up recently. He is still recovering from it and finds it difficult to start life afresh. Though the seeker might dwell on his unhappy past, this card is an indication that he should look ahead and enjoy all the happiness that lies there for him.
This card advises that difficult times aren’t permanent. And once we fall, we can rise and begin again.
What Is Indicated When the 3 of Swords Is in A Reversed Position
- The message of this card does not change dramatically, as in other cards. Here, the message lessens its influence. It shows that the pain accompanied by betrayal is expected.
- This card shows that the swords fall to the ground.
- It stops raining and the dark clouds go away so that the seeker can concentrate on healing past wounds and moving on. With maturity, the seeker has now grown.
3 of Swords Personality Types in a Reversed Position
- The seeker is calm on the outside but disturbed from inside.
- They grapple with old issues like neglect, loss and abuse.
- They still haven’t healed from inside.
- The seeker hide their feelings, so no one sees how worried they are.
3 of Swords in a Time-Based Position
Past: The seeker has gone through very difficult times which has impacted his present greatly.
Present: This card shows that you are presently extremely unhappy and need to find ways out of your depression.
Future: Your life is topsy-turvy now, but you can change it all and lead a better life.
Work or Education: You may be doing well professionally, but you aren’t happy.
Romance: You will experience loss and unhappiness in your romantic relationships.
Friends: Are you facing problems with your friends? Consider why they are happening and how to solve the problem.
Money: Your financial situation isn’t happy, but this period will soon end.
Health: Your state of mind influences your health. So, change your routine and introduce something new in your life.
Spirituality and Mentality: This card explores a negative mind. It advises you to meet new people.
Though this card highlights all kinds of negativity, this card also holds out hope for the depressed and lonely. If you wish to know more about this card visit here.