In this card, a man is seen walking away from the eight cups arranged upright in the foreground. There’s a gap between the first and second cup, which denotes a lack of emotional fulfillment. The man walks away towards the mountains feeling disappointed as if seeking solace there. It is also always good to know about the opposing card, the 8 of Cups Reversed or Eight of Cups Reversed.
A serene river nearby stands for his emotions while the majesty of the mountains signifies that this will be a tough time for him. However, his path is illuminated by the full moon, a sign that he will get help from some quarters. He is leaving late at night, which denotes that he might be escaping from reality.
The 8 of Cups in an Upright Position
Generally, the Eight of Cups denotes abandonment. It signifies people turning their backs on life or their plans. It also points to escapism and the weariness that causes one to take such a decision.
It takes courage to walk away from the familiar into the unknown. In a sense, this card also stands for travel as the seeker is leaving home to escape the harsh realities of life. This card also stands for introspection, loneliness and a search for the truth.
What Is Indicated When the Eight of Cups Is in An Upright Position
- This card stands for materialism which the man is shunning for something deeper.
- He sees stability and opportunities in the uneven terrain he approaches
- He’s passionate about undertaking this journey, symbolized by his red cloak.
- The majestic mountain stands for the stability he seeks.
- The moon symbolizes his unrealized dreams.
Eight of Cups Personality Types in Upright Position
- The seeker is on a spiritual journey of self-discovery.
- He is an introvert who prefers the spiritual rather than the material.
- This card advises that he should persevere on his chosen path and achieve his spiritual goals.
The 8 of Cups in a Reverse Position
In the reversed position, this card depicts the man dithering between leaving and staying back to give life one more chance to improve. He lacks the determination to let go and begin again as we saw in the upright position.
What Is Indicated When the 8 of Cups Is in A Reversed Position
- The seeker has submitted to a life of discomfort, misery and loneliness.
- He does this to please another individual.
- The seeker is alone in this world and experiencing guilt pangs.
- He has stagnated in life.
Eight of Cups Personality Types in a Reversed Position
- This card is indicative of one who feels lost, useless and old.
- He prefers yielding to others rather than concentrating on his goals.
- The seeker is an escapist.
- His stagnation in his life upsets him greatly.
- He is an introvert whose emotions haven’t been fully understood by others.
8 of Cups in a Time-Based Position
Past: One facet of your life hasn’t given you success, so you are on the lookout for something else.
Present: Something new and different is coming your way, so welcome it.
Future: Something you’re planning might not fructify, so take a relook at it. Take each day as it comes.
Work or Education: You’re probably not in the right place, so look for better options.
Romance: You’ve reached a dead end in your relationship, so think about what you really want from it.
Friends: Don’t stagnate with the same bunch of friends. Make new friends.
Money: If you’re wealthy, try helping others in need or volunteer your services.
Health: You keep thinking of ways of improving your life or those of others. Take walks and let Nature do her best for you.
Spirituality and Mentality: You need to be by yourself to think out all that overwhelms you and find solutions to your problems.
This card is about finding your true place in this world and the need to step out of your cocoon and embark on a journey of self-discovery.