The King of Swords tarot card depicts the royal heir sitting on his throne, his face stern and ready to confront anything. In his right hand, he holds a sword, the hand that points to the rational mind. He targets it upward and to the left, the side pointing to the intuitive mind. This stands for his decisiveness and flexibility in all his royal matters. It proves that he takes decisions based on fact and his intellect but remains open to intuition.
He is dressed in a blue tunic, which symbolizes thirst for religious knowledge. His purple cape is symbolic of his intellect and compassion. The back of his throne has a butterfly pattern, apart from crescent moons and an angel near his left ear, as if to give him guidance subtly.
King of Swords in an Upright Position
The King of Swords has all the characteristics of a good king. He delivers justice fairly.
The appearance of this character in a tarot spread means that all issues can be resolved if one is honest. One should use one’s analytical mind to resolve problems. If one abides by his rules, the King can be of great help.
What Is Indicated When the King of Swords Is in An Upright Position
- The seeker should be objective about his present situation and remain committed to the truth.
- The King’s intellectual power indicates that the seeker will need to make his own decisions. He should also be observant and look deep within himself to see the problems in his life.
- This card also indicates the need to think rationally.
King of Swords Personality Types in Upright Position
- The seeker is both ethical and rational who mentors others.
- He is an expert in his field, very successful and is highly regarded by others.
King of Swords in a Reverse Position
The King of Swords reversed indicates a person who is disorganized, routine, self-discipline and authority. He doesn’t use his head as the King of Swords did in the upright position. He could also crave for power or be tyrannical, illogical and devoid of ethics.
In a reversed position, the seeker is a mature male, a control freak, cold and power-hungry. He is intelligent and eloquent but uses these qualities to hurt others.
What Is Indicated When the King of Swords Is in A Reversed Position
- In this card, the King of Swords is shown to be manipulative and tyrannical, indicating the abuse of mental acumen.
- With his manipulative attitude, he fulfills his own selfish wishes.
King of Swords Personality Types in a Reversed Position
- The individual is hateful and loves disgracing others.
- They are defeatists and cannot cope with their emotions.
- They do not work to deserve the respect they want.
- They respond to love very slowly and once they get it, they go back to their old ways.
King of Swords in A Time-Based Position
Past: By dedicating oneself to a particular subject, you can be considered an expert in that field.
Present: In the present position, the seeker has a father figure in his life—one who advises him regularly.
Future: This indicates that the seeker is on the right path if he’s willing to put in the required hard work.
Work or Education: The seeker will have to seek advice from someone really experienced.
Romance: The seeker’s relationships will blossom with a lot of maturity.
Friends: The seeker’s friendships are happy and going well.
Money: The seeker should spend judiciously.
Health: The seeker must begin an exercise regimen if he is concerned about his health.
Spirituality and Mentality: The seeker should take his own independent decisions in matters of spirituality.
The cold and despicable nature of the King of Swords in the reversed position is something to be avoided. The seeker should, instead, aim to be like the King of Swords in the upright position.